Sunday, January 25, 2015

Sometimes things just don't work out.

Well some days the universe has a weird way of telling you things...
Today was one of those days.
On Vancouver Island we have a great winter race series. From January to April there are 8 running races from Sidney to Comox. Every single race has their special something and I love participating. Last year due to pneumonia I missed out so I was very excited to plan my race season with VIRA in mind.

So the first race was Jan 11 down in Saanich (greater part of Victoria) and my run coach thought it would be a great race for me to do... then I got sick. So no race for me. Fast forward to this weekend where the second race is happening right in my back yard. The Cobble Hill 10km. This was the race I was most excited about. It's my area, I know the race route, and I know I was capable of a PR. Well after being off from training for 4 weeks I figured I still could pull off a good race, then this week I woke up with nerve pain shooting down my leg. So I had to skip one of my runs and go see "my guy" to get things sorted out. Got out for my other runs and things felt better. So I thought yes, I can race this. Well, as I'm getting ready for the race I get a text from my coach asking how things are feeling. I tell her I'm feeling pretty much back on track and what pace should I run this race. She tells me not to run it. Too much has gone on that she didn't think it was wise. So I'm bummed. I decided what the heck, I've already paid for the race. I'll go run it and just run it as an easy training pace. Not easy to do in a race because it means practicing an immense sense of self control. I have done it before so what the heck. So I'm all ready to head over to the race, get into my truck and...
IT WILL NOT START. It won't do anything. No battery, no nothing. 

I have to tell you I am a huge believer in that things happen for a reason. My coach did not want me racing, she did say if I really wanted to I could but she did not recommend it. The fact that my truck all of a sudden decided today was the day it decided not to start I find absolutely crazy. 
So I have taken today as a great opportunity to remind me to trust. Trust in my coach. Trust in my training. Trust in myself that everything will work out. Life will lead me in the right direction and I just have to trust.
I am hopeful that this is the last of my hiccups for training as I officially start Ironman training a week today. The plan is in place and I will be on my rigid schedule. Things are going to work out just fine, as long as I just trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment