Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The faster you run, the faster you get home.

If I have learned anything through my journey to my first 70.3 is that not all training days are good. In fact I have quite a few days that haven't been good. Don't get me wrong, I love the training, I love being outside but there is nothing worse then feeling defeated by the elements. I've been battling the odd injury. It seems every other month something creeps up on me. I've have shoulder pain, knee pain, hip pain. Fortunately it's not always the same spot. As a massage practitioner that is great news. It means I'm not doing anything funky that is affecting something specific. All of these injury's are just due to lots of hard work. 
This past weekend we had absolute amazing weather.

This was on my way home from my 7pm run. It was still terribly warm. I guess I need to start getting used to the heat.
I got in 2 fabulous bike rides one of them being an 80km steady state. It made me happy. However Sunday I had to get in a long run. I was supposed to do it right after a short bike ride but it was so stinking hot I waited until 7pm. It was still stinking hot. I headed out with my legs feeling a little heavy but I got into a grove. My best bud drove by and I got a 5minute break to chat. I started at it again and realized I should not have taken that 5 minute break : (
I just felt off. Then 6 km in my knee started hurting so I backed off a bit. Felt not too bad so I picked up the pace again.Then my knee hurt. This is how the entire run went. However, I did end up just walking home the last 2km. I was hurting. I was mad. I was disappointed, and I ran out of water
Barely a drip left.
I hate that feeling of disappointment. I felt I just didn't get in a good workout. Was I wasting my time? Am I on a downward spiral? It's less than 3 months away until my Ironman and all of a sudden all of these weird injuries are creeping up. Needless to say, I was feeling pretty low until a friendly face was wandering down the street as I made my way home:
She sure brightened my day!
So, what do you do when you have a bad training day? You go home, put your feet up and ice that injury, call your physio and hope it was just another hiccup that will pass just as fast as it came on.

Stay tuned I have some exciting news!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment